BG is under-the-weather today, so I thought I would make him some good old-fashioned pinto beans for when he returns to good health:
TK’s Pinto Beans
1 4-lb. bag of dried pinto beans
1 jar of Roasted Red Peppers, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 small can Rotel
1/8 tsp. garlic powder ( or 1 clove of garlic)
1. Wash and sort to remove any bad beans or rocks.
2. Add enough water to a heavy kettle to cover 3 times greater than the amount of beans.
3. Add 2 tsp. salt per pound of beans. ( I shortened this)
4. Boil beans for 2 minutes.
5. Cover and remove from heat for 1 hour.
6. Return to heat and add embellishments. I added 1/2 large onion chopped, one bottle red roasted red peppers chopped, one small can of rotel, and 1/8 tsp. of garlic powder. You could add ham hock or bacon or chicken broth, if you prefer.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
Serve in a bowl, adding shredded cheese , plain yogurt and pepper, with a tortilla—yummy!
After the first meal, you can just use these beans for a base for ANYTHING & EVERYTHING!!!!